Top 7 Tips for Hiring a Contractor
Regardless of whether your project is a simple bathroom remodel or a complete house renovation, the success or failure of the project will depend on the contractor you hire. Hiring a contractor is easier than you think, but you have to do your due diligence. Follow these helpful tips and you should have a quality job well done in no time!
- Check their License – Make sure you check their contractor’s license and that it’s in good standing. Ask and check those of the subcontractors as well.
- Insurance – Ask for proof of insurance and check that it’s still active and valid.
- Check References – Ask for references and call them. Ask to go see a project or two and ask strong questions about timing, quality, responsiveness, and cost.
- Get it In Writing – Finalize the scope of work before you start anything, in writing. A proper contract should be on letterhead and include clear timelines and benchmarks, as well as payment schedules and how completion will be signed off.
- Do not Pay for Materials – If you absolutely have to pay for materials, have them delivered to your property and verify the receipt to show they were delivered in full.
- Only Pay the Contractor – Under no circumstances should you make a payment to anyone other than the contractor themself. Do not pay a person, only the company.
- Final Payment only When Satisfied – Do not make the final payment until you’re completely satisfied with the result.